Thursday, May 21, 2009

From T-Ball to the Majors according to Parents.

When "normal people" say Tball you conjure up images of little kids running to all the wrong bases, throwing sand in the outfield, picking flowers for mom, searching for bugs in the grass, etc... Notice I said normal because I'm beginning to realize that when it comes to sports parents throw normal out the window. I for one do realize that Bly stands a greater chance at becoming a zoo keeper than professional ball player. However I do think that some of these little boys have parents that completely missed that memo. Yes I am competitive to a certain degree and I think sports can be a wonderful confidence building asset in a child and lets face it who on earth really like to lose, but you've got a team of 4, 5, and 6 year old little boys that aren't playing for the world series. Yet parents go out of their minds and I'll even admit that I at times are one of those parents for instance when Bly barely swings the bat just enough to make the ball go outside the circle I get a little testy only because I want him to try hard not do enough to barely get by (that's his dad coming out in him not me by the way). Parents have their major league stars prepped and ready to go it's like leading the wolves to sheep. These little fellows are ready to draw blood from who ever gets in their way. The game starts and the gnashing of the teeth begins you get everyone in there spot on the field and the first batter hits the ball the parents go nuts. They are screaming at their little major star to either throw the ball or run to first base. God forbid the little star doesn't get the ball to where it's supposed to go or the little man can't run fast enough to first because that's when the parent lines up at the fence screaming. The star is completely lost do you listen to your parents or do you listen to the coach you can literally see their little mind turning like the hamster racing on his wheel trying to figure out what do I do and who do I listen to? Isn't tball great? My all time favorite are those parents who make their major leaguers play ball and they so have no interest in it. Those babies will make you reach for the nearest Xanax or alcholic beverage you can find. That baby has no desire to play and for the coaches sanity don't make him. These parents know who they are because those are the majors that have to be dragged, bribed, or just plan made to play. It's so not worth the headache and trust me I'm sure we will need to save our parental sanity for when our major leaguers turn in to rock star partiers. I am glad that I've got one more year of tball and have got a hand full of games left for this year and then I'm retiring. I will be one of those parents that sits in the stands cheering for kids team with the camera ready for the next great play. I can't wait either to be a in the stands mom not on the field mom who could turn into the wicked step mother in a matter of seconds. So for all those moms out there who consider tball to be the majors relax you've got plenty of time before they sign contracts and endorsement deals so that you the parent can say "yep that's my baby." Enjoy this time it will be make such a great story when they get older and as the the little stars get older we will need all the leverage from embarrassing moments of their tball years we can muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment