Friday, April 17, 2009

Parenting

In my last post I realize I probably sounded a little harsh about my sweet little angel Addison and sometimes maybe I do tend to be a little hard on both of my kids, but you will not find my kids hanging from the ceiling when we take them out in public. I believe that discipline is a key factor in raising children today. They are being influenced by the TV, radio, Internet, friends, and the relationships that are portrayed in front of them everyday. How many of us parents actually stop to sit down and watch the cartoons, or check their phones, computers etc and see what it is they are watching, texting, reading? In today's society with most families having both parents working to make ends meet and even those that are lucky enough to get to stay at home you are just as busy at home as those spouses that work a 40 or more hour work week do we make the time to check up on our kids? My babies are small, but even with Bly being in Pre-k I have realized that there are days that I haven't even stopped my circle to see what was going on his circle. It saddens me to think I would miss something big from either of them because I'm too busy to ask. So how do we balance both of those circles? I wish I knew and I could really use some help. It also doesn't help that with Jeremy working a rotating schedule that I have to play both mom and dad when he isn't at home. I feel like: am I doing this right or how would Jeremy handle this if he was at home? The list of questions just keeps getting longer and longer with each passing episode. You really try to think positive about it and then there are times you are just like "yep handled that situation badly" or hopefully they want have permanent scars on their egos or mindsets. I so do not want to be one of those parents with my head in the sand saying out loud "how did that happen and I not even know about it". It's a fine line and I will be the first to admit my line is crisscrossed all over the road, but I'm trying the best I know how. Parenthood is a work in progress and the learning curve is so high it feels unreachable. While the curve is still unreachable I strive everyday to reach a little higher so that when the time comes for my birds to leave the nest that they are prepared to the best of my ability and the best of them shines forward and they can use what I've taught them to put their best foot forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment